Friday, March 19, 2010

Happenstance, March 19, 2010


Getting Happenstance together is fun. I meet new people and share the excitement of what is going on in their lives. This week I talked to artists who are starting a new enterprise. The future of Las Vegas and the area is based on a combination of job creation, job retention, and job expansion. The jobs created by a co-op art gallery are not the distinguishable jobs of hiring others to work in your place of business; these jobs come from the artists taking on the shared role of employee. That sets up a chain reaction, which results in more opportunities for sales for the artists which is a shot in the arm for the economy on a very basic level. I met with two of the participating artists and learned a lot about co-ops I didn’t know. I share that with you in, Artists open co-op gallery on the Plaza, on pages 6-7.


My second article was a joy to do because I am a book nut. I love to read almost as much as I love to write and I really enjoy the work of other writers. I am especially charmed by Jan Brett, a respected children's book author who literally paints a picture with everything she writes. In The Easter Egg bus is on its way, you will find out more about this talented illustrator/author who has more than thirty-four million books in print. She’s coming to town and her visit is NOT just for kids. Read the story on pages 4-5. I’ve also included reviews of a couple of her books on page 10.


Also check out The Best of the Web on page 9. This week’s review is of the site delish.com. It’s a food site, but I also found it pretty entertaining. On the

Happenstance Kitchen page I included one of my favorite recipes for a crowd.


Folks are asking how often I’m going to publish Happenstance. My hope is to do it every week, but that may require more content than Ican produce. I welcome submissions from other writers. It can be poetry, short fiction, essays, articles about interesting activities, people and events, history and oddities. I want to hear from you and look forward to getting your submissions.


Distribution of this is somewhat dependent on readers. If you like Happenstance and would like to pass it on to others, please do. I also welcome your ideas. Is there something you would like to know more about? Let me know and I’ll do my best to get it in.


Enjoy this issue of Happenstance; life happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment