Friday, April 20, 2012

Rambling Prose: Writers Write

To Blog or Not to Blog

I've been dithering. Not uncommon for me, just ask my husband. I have a gazillions things I want to do and not enough time in the day to get them done, not because I can't but because I dither. That isn't to say I don't get things done, it's just that I must wade through the litter of dither to get there.

I haven't  always been that way. I am by nature a take-charge woman, and not always a sensitive one, so Katie-bar-the-door or I'll run over you. I don't mean to, but focus at some point becomes obsession. An agenda is meant to be followed.

I've written about this before, so I won't go into detail here, but a to do list at this point in my life is essential. (Check here for prior post). There are days when even a to do list doesn't help. Sometimes I stare at it, my eyes glaze over and I turn to my iPad and play Word W.E.L.D.E.R. Work? You're kidding, right? Who am I trying to impress? What do I think will happen to the thousands of words I've written and published over the years? 

So begins procrastination and self-doubt. I have to give myself a swift kick in the posterior to get off the pity pot and move on.  

 

So What?

 The dither deal today is that I'm seriously thinking about going back to publishing an e-zine. I did on off a year or so ago, but I didn't have the patience to give it time to build a readership, and I couldn't figure out how to make money at it. This is nothing unusual. I've done a fair number of the things in my life that either lost money or never made a dime. I guess getting and being and maintaining a rich lifestyle isn't a driving factor behind my choices.

So the dilemma is this. I've been working diligently at building a web presence with the idea of selling my books: Tiger Lilly, Not Just Another Day, The Ballad of Bawdy McClure, and Future Imperfect. Why I believed creating three blogs and maintaining a website would accomplish this I'll never know. To my knowledge not one single book has been sold as a consequence of all this effort. It doesn't help that two of them are sci-fi, one is daily devotional and another is contemporary fiction about family relationships. Does anyone see the problem here? Try creating SEO protocol for that mess.

Back to the Topic 

I stopped publishing the e-zine about eight months ago. For the effort I was putting into it, I saw no measurable indicators that any but a handful of family and friends were actually reading it. I'm doing the blogs because... Well there you go, I'm not sure why I'm doing the blogs. I THINK it's building my web presence and my author platform, however I'm seeing no measurable indicators to prove that it is.

Bear with me folks, I'm on a ramble here, not to mention a dither.

One of the blogs is tied to my radio show, Writer's Block, which airs each Tuesday morning at 9 a.m MST. It is a program about writing and writers. I invite authors (published and want to be published)  to be interviewed in-studio or as call-in guests. Following the program I summarize the discussion and do a review of the program in my Writer's Block blog.

Joy inthe Morning is a blog of brief inspirational readings or poems. It is tied to my spirituality and will likely lead to a second book of daily devotionals.

The blog you're reading is the third blog. Rambling Prose is about what ever strikes my fancy, kind of like my now dormant e-zine, Happenstance, life happens. Even so, it doesn't have the flexibility of an e-zine, or if it does I haven't figured out how to make it work.

Still with me?

And then there is the Sharon Vander Meer website, which remains fairly static with general information, only updated once a week with links to Writer's Block program summaries.

Coming from print media I still think in terms of graphic design, popping pix and writing to section demands. Is it food and lifestyle? Does it fit in features? Sports? Trends? Books? Travel? Commentary?

For what I want to do, an e-zine makes more sense because my interests vary and as much as I want to be a writing machine punching out books by the dozens, the truth is my curiosity and dithering eclectic tastes do not contribute to finishing yet another manuscript, and I'm not much good at marketing the books I've already written! Still, I forge ahead.

And this is a biggie folks I love talking to writers. I enjoy promoting their work. It tickles me silly to publish words crafted by talented people. I enjoy reading and doing book reviews. 

That doesn't  leave a lot of time for additional writing, but I forge ahead.

Now What?

So, the questions for me are, "Do I continue to maintain three blogs and a website none of which are doing what I want them to do (sell books), or do I go back to e-zine publishing creating something on the order of a literary journal? And if I do, is it possible to have an income stream?"

The question for you as a follower or reader is, what do you think? Check out the published e-zines at this link and the one above, and give me your feedback in the comments section below. I'm sort of looking for a better understanding of what will work in the web environment we are now living in. To blog or not to blog, that is the question.


Share this blog with those whom you think will be interested using one of the share buttons below.

4 comments:

  1. Prose writer thoughts is great.The quetion "To blog or not to blog" is very good question.Thanks for share this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. Hope you will be back. Blogging is a trip into the unknown, and sometimes the unknowable. I blog becuase it is one way to express myself and my hope is that someone out there reads it and enjoys it.

      Delete
  2. You put a very tough question, to be sure. I am not an expert in this, for I have only one blog and I don't really get much traffic to it. Besides, I published an e-book, but it doesn't sell. Hoping to change all that and learn some know-how on the matter, made me join the MNINB platform-forming challenge, in fact. I think writers who maintain this many blogs, use paid service in order to manage all. Otherwise, it seems a lot of work to do for a single person.
    Personally I have no idea how to make money, but my situation is a bit odd, because I live in Eastern Europe and there is no money for art here. I can't find a way to relocate either, at least so far, so I can't actually give any advice.
    I'd love to take some advice, in fact. Especially one that will work for me. Yet, that will not be advice which will work for you...
    Mariya Koleva
    http://phoenix-em.com/mariyakoleva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. The best thing about blogging is you get to share with a wider audience. The trick is to find a hook to get them to your blog and keep them reading. Hopefully at some point that will lead to getting paid. Good luck with your writing. I think you have some stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete