Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Aging Gracefully

Old Chick Oh So Chic 

Old Chick Oh So Chic
I don’t think I’m old. In fact I’m pretty sure I’m not, until I see a candid picture of myself and then I’m horrified. A friend’s grandson took a photo of me at Christmas all bundled up in my warmest coat. I was behind the wheel of my car on my way to a residential care center to deliver gifts to the residents. The Deacons of our church do this every year and I was among several taking this precarious journey on the coldest, snowiest day of the year. Hence the coat and look of grim determination on my face.

We arrived safe and sound, the recipients of the gifts had a high old time and I was happy to have participated. And then I saw THE photo posted on my Facebook page a couple of days later, a thoughtful gift from my good friend Art Trujillo, copy editor at the local paper and a regular columnist. To say the least I was surprised; mostly I was shocked at the deep wrinkles around my lips in contrast to the rich dark color of my hair. Who was I kidding? That hair? Those wrinkles? Get a grip.

Thank you, Arthur (the photographer), for this reminder that no matter how much I would like to look young, at 67 I’m NOT young and the road map of my face shows that. Oddly enough that visual reminder of the march of time didn’t depress me. For an old chick I’m healthy, thank the good Lord, and have the energy of women half my age, or perhaps stubborn determination would be a better description. 


Active Life Keeps You Lively
True Colors
I have a radio program, Writers' Block, on KFUN/KLVF, I’m involved in my church, I’m part of the planning team for a big gala at New Mexico Highlands University celebrating the tenure of the current president, Jim Fries, with a major scholarship fund raising component tied in, I maintain three blogs and a website, and I’m working on a couple of books. 

My husband is convinced I’m working too hard. I’ve been on the other side of that following my retirement from my last full time job, doing little more than playing computer games or reading endlessly and that’s no fun. I’d rather be busy.

My mission is to remind people that wrinkles and age do not mean you no longer have value. Getting old isn’t the end of life; it’s the beginning of a different kind of freedom. You can make choices you couldn’t have made when you were younger.  You can work or volunteer as much or as little as you want to. 

Getting older is a blessing, especially when you consider the alternative. But I’m not terribly worried about that either. I know that when this life is over whatever is next is mine to claim.

So despite wrinkles and days when I’m a little out of breath from running too fast, I’m pleased to say that every day is a great day, even when it isn’t. I’m not that much of a Pollyanna! Life’s little surprises just make getting up in the morning a little more interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment